Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Penne Pasta with Sausage and Cheesy Garlic Bread

G and Co. were nice enough to visit us for dinner tonight, we love it when they visit! We like to think that they come to visit us, but we know they only come to see Connor Man! :) I told them I was making sausage pasta and they had to stay and eat with us. My mom found this recipe on the Food Network, courtesy of Sandra Lee - the first time I made it we were hooked! It was a crowd pleaser last night, so I thought I would share! I don't know if the picture does it justice, but everyone gobbled it up, Connor had three helpings!

Ingredients:

1 pound penne pasta

2 tblsp. olive oil

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced

1 tblsp. garlic, chopped (I use the minced)

1 tblsp. Italian seasoning

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional

4 pork sausages, cut into 1/2 in. slices (I use turkey sausage, you could also use chicken sausage)

1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (I used two and don't drain them)

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 c. heavy cream

basil leaves for garnish

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions

In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning mix and red pepper. Stir frequently and cook until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, stirring all the ingredients together to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and mix well.

Drain the pasta and add directly to the skillet with the sauce. Toss the pasta to coat, transfer to serving bowl and garnish with basil leaves. I serve it with cheesy garlic bread and a salad! Enjoy!

No comments: